The Great Experiment Is Finally Coming To An End!!!

I started writing this blog addition on June 5th, the day of our 34th wedding anniversary. What I began to write was that we were not together for our anniversary but I have never felt closer to her than today. After nearly three and a half decades being together, experiencing ups and downs, going through nearly marriage ending trials and coming through without calling it quits, we decided that it was time for an experiment. Actually, we didn't decide. Our daughter did. Here's what I started writing a few weeks ago...
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Experiment is coming to an end.

Today officially marks Julie and my 34th anniversary and we are not together to enjoy it. But I can tell you I have never felt closer to her than I do today. She is a woman worthy of so much more than what I have given to her over the last 3 and a half decades. Yet, she chose me and continues to chose me and I am so blessed to have her. I know that I want to live out the rest of my days with her.

The reason we are not together at this time is due to what I call the Great Experiment. She is back in the Portland area helping to care for our grand daughter for her first year of life. And I am in Nicaragua keeping our ministry projects functioning. We are in the final stretch of the experiment, which started in mid November. We have made a few short trips back and forth over the past six months, and today we have five weeks left of being apart. I will go back for a month and then we will both return to Nicaragua together to continue our lives and ministry together. 

If you are interested in what we do in Nicaragua please visit www.nicaimpact.org

In the book of Genesis God said “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.”'  Genesis‬ ‭2:18‬ ‭NIV‬‬.  Julie is my suitable helper. In reality, she completes me, and after 34 years we have become so comfortable being together that the idea of being apart seemed a bit adventurous. I can tell you it has not been. If I have learned anything it is that I want to grow old with her. 

The Great Experiment has been filled with projects and activities that have kept my mind off of the loneliness. And everyday I say a prayer from the Lord Prayer: lead me not into temptation, but deliver me from evil. God has been good to provide me with the answer.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So that is what I started writing and then got interrupted by something. Such has been my life without her, just as it is with her. I get interrupted a lot. And I lose track of what I am doing often as well. My goal for this time has been to stay occupied with productive things so as not to get bored and let my eyes wander. I have been busier than I had thought I would be and there has been no time to be bored. Having said that, I'd still like to end this experiment as soon as possible. Life is so different when you live with someone than when you don't. I now know I can live alone (sort of) but I certainly don't desire to. I say "sort of" because we are constantly in contact. iMessage has kept me informed of our grand kids progress and growth, which has been invaluable. I get more than a few short videos almost everyday as I get to watch Hazel grow up, roll over for the first time, throw up, laugh, make noises, etc. All the stuff babies do, I have been kept current. That has been the best part of the experiment. 

Well, I said I wanted to stay busy and I have. The bridge, which was suppose to end in mid January took until April to complete. I had guests coming and going from the states, I had a backlog of office work that had accumulated since September that need to get done. And we started a small church group at our ministry site. A "La ViƱa" right here in Jinotepe which has me reconnecting with my acoustic guitar to help lead worship in my adopted language. I've been busy.

Los Encuentros 68 meter suspended bridge

Probably the thing I have had to adjust to other than not having my best friend with me every day is how my routine changes when she is not here. When we are together we are a team. We lighten each others load by working together. She likes being in the home, cooking, and cleaning and doing projects. I like being out working my projects. Without her here I have learned to cook more than just oatmeal or hot dogs. I've tried to keep food in the house (remember the old Carl's Jr. commercial with the guy in the grocery store? Before they went risque.) I haven't lost too much weight. The house is not as clean as she keeps it. I've determined I could live with just three rooms if needed. A bedroom, a bathroom, and a kitchen. Under ideal circumstances those would all be inside the same four walls - with no divisions. 

So as the Great Experiment winds down (there are just two weeks left now) I reflect on lessons learned (a debrief practice we apply during bridge building), and look forward to being back with my wife and family again. I don't know how some of you folks who are married and have jobs that require lengthy trips apart do it. Once is enough for me/us. I'm ready to wake up next to my best friend again. To hold her each day. Have someone to talk to over the little things. God knew what He was doing when he put us together. The Great Experiment has been an opportunity to drive that lesson home.

Comments

  1. What a beautiful tribute to Julie and your lives together (and apart!) Glenn and I are apart at least a few times a year. The eight months (mostly) apart in 2013 were difficult, before I could move to California. But the victories we'd won in all the previous years of shorter separations had built towards this very long one (though, like you two, there were some wonderful short visits with each other in person during that season). To your wondering - how couples do it who must be apart regularly - I can answer, we don't do it without the grace of Jesus filling our lives with steadfast love, hope and faith. HE is the great Stabilizer and the dear companion who "takes over" with the needed increases in intimacy when my partner in life must be off to China or other countries for work! All praise goes to an amazing Papa God Who strengthens us to do the otherwise impossible!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer of 2019: Mom

About My Dad